Friday, February 19, 2016

Minnesota fast break

So I know I said I'd be doing a break down type post of the Timberwolves/ Grizzlies game tonight as my next post and presumably will be doing just that in my next next post. Something came up yesterday that I could not ignore. It involves the big university down in Minneapolis that I so accurately disparaged the other day.
For one day the gopher's men's basketball team was the talk of the biggest national sports network. Which does NOT happen.
If you were busy and missed the news then let me break it down for you


AFTER the break!
The UofM Golden Gophers men's basketball had exactly 0 wins in this new year which is almost 50 days old.
Not bad enough for you? They had 0 wins in the Big Ten and had been blown out more times then not.
Still need more? Well... I don't any worse facts then those but suffice it to say they've sucked pretty much all year.

So you may ask yourself what happened that was such a big talker?
No, they didn't have a historically bad loss.
No, they didn't go winless in Big Ten play.
No, their players are all still healthy.

They got a win.

Now maybe you're asking yourself am I serious? Does one win merit doing a write up, much less national talk on the big E? Typically no. Even when it is the first conference win of the season and first win of the calendar year.

Then the what's the deal?

They beat Maryland.

Ok? So what?

Well, Maryland is ranked number 6 in the country. They have less losses then Minnesota has wins, which is a pretty small number!
Even with the loss they are in second place in the conference while Sota is second...from the bottom.

So props to the Gopher boys for getting a giant win and the attention that came with it!

Consecutive nights with upsets of top teams in the rankings.

Can the tournament start all ready?!

Until then, good job Minnesota!

No comments:

Post a Comment